Sunday, July 22, 2007

Snakes, scorpions and mosquitos, oh my!

I'M IN AFRICA!!! I had written several journal entries that I thought I would transfer to the blog, but I don't really have time to write them all out now. I'll just try to sum up any big points. The staging in Philadelphia went well and I met 81 other Mali trainees from all over the US. I'm the only North Carolinian! After a 13-hour plane ride, stopping through Paris, we arrived in Mali on Friday night. We got off the plane to a rush of hot air and many Malians and a few Peace Corps Volunteers waiting to greet us. As I was brushing my teeth on Friday night, I looked up into the sky and the stars were simply gorgeous - I was like, "I'm actually in Africa!". It was an amazing feeling. Right now, all us trainees are at Tubaniso, the Peace Corps training site about 40 minutes outside of Bamako. We'll be here until Wednesday, which is when we'll move into host villages for the 9 weeks of intensive language training. There will be about 5-7 trainees per village and we'll each live with a separate host family. I can't wait to be completely immersed in the language - I don't know at this point whether I'll be learning Bambara or another language, but I'll know by Tuesday. There are about 35 Malians who work with the Peace Corps. One of them was amazed that I went to the same college as Michael Jordan! One of the head honchos, Mamadou or "Sam" always wears these beautiful flowing robes or boubous - actually all of the clothes here are amazing. The women all wear long skirts with nice tops made of different kinds of fabric, but the fabric is beautiful. The men wear things ranging from khakis and polos to boubous. So far I've just been wearing long skirts from home, but tomorrow we'll be able to start buying Malian clothes!!! I can't wait! Yesterday we had about 9 hours of orientation, and we will every day until Wednesday. I also got two more vaccinations yesterday, bringing the total to 5 and counting - luckily I don't mind needles! So far the food has been quite good - we had mangoes for dessert last night! All of the other trainees seem really nice - we've had tons of bonding time so far. I went running yesterday with another girl for about two miles, and the heat wasn't too bad, although it is very hot, probably in the 90's so far. Last night, a couple taught some of us basic swing dance steps, which was fun although I'm ready to learn Malian dance! The time difference is four hours ahead, by the way, from EST. The toilets or nyegens have been the biggest adjustment - basically a tiny hole in the ground which is extremely difficult to aim at. Luckily, they have plenty of toilet paper here! In a month or so though, I figure I'll be a pro. Anyway, in regards to the title, on the ride to Tubaniso we were warned that it is scorpion season, so watch out. Apparently there are also lots of snakes around as well; luckily I haven't seen either so far. And we've been sleeping with mosquito nets over our beds, which is kind've fun. Okie-dokie, hope you all enjoy reading my post and I'll post again soon! A bientot!

6 comments:

Kaylen said...

Dearest Anna,

In regards to your realization that you were in Africa, the stars had to tell you that? Geez, I could have told you that and I bet I have a much prettier voice than those flaming balls of space rock. Also, I would comment on you pooping in small holes, but that just seems too easy, doesn't it? I bet you look like a bad mamma jamma in those Malian clothes, just don't get caught on the discovery channel though, your boobs might look saggy by association. Finally, before you fly Graham, Lindsey and I out there (which I fully expect given your large peace corps salary), let us know which click sounds order some booze and Wendy's. They have the baconater in Africa, right?

Love You,
Kaylen

MLE said...

I won't try to outdo Kaylen in inappropriateness of comments left on blog that all your friends and family are reading - but I just wanna say that I want pictures of you wearing African garb!!! And I also expect you to buy me an African skirt or something that I can wear out on the town. I'll pay you back! I love cultural clothes!

How about you just stay for a few months and then come back??? We miss you!

Susan said...

Dear Annabelle,
I love your adventure so far, you paint a wonderful picture for those of us back home. Thanks so... much for calling on Saturday. I'll print out your article for Daddy to read. We love you very much.
Mommy

Unknown said...

It's nice to hear your flights went well. Emma and I envy you. We have been stuck in the developing nation of "JFK Airport" for way longer than is comfortable. I believe they have nyegens here, too.

Anonymous said...

Hey, Anna Banana! Glad you got there okay and are having a great time! Enjoy those comfy, flow-y new clothes, and post some pictures. I saw some Malian art today at the NY Metropolitan Museum of Art - pretty impressive masks and carvings. Hopefully the HP book will be waiting for me when we get home; I'll send it your way ASAP (after I read it, of course). Good luck with everything! Love you lots!!

Bailey Irene said...

Hola Anna. I hope things are going well. I'm sure that the skies are beautiful. Did you remember to take your camera? Foud out that, the cd you have is produced by Manu Chao, a French artist raised by Spanish parents. But the couple Amadou and Mariam, are from Mali. So what is the food like? Is is more Europeanized or Americanized from what you have seen so far? I'm sorry to bombard you with questions! I'll leave some more for next time. Let me know where I can send you letters, and I will wait for mine!
A tout a l'heure!