Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Mali and humor

i ni sogoma!

I feel like I have so much to write, but I'll try to get to the main points. Sunday was great because we began Bambara lessons. Today we find out what host village we'll be in, so I'll know whether I'll continue on with Bambara or move to another language, depending upon where my site will ultimately be. Yesterday morning we had a session on stereotypes with some of the Malian teachers, and the trainees made a list of common stereotypes that the US has of Mali or Africa, while the Malians made a list of stereotypes toward the US. It was really interesting to see that no matter what was put on the list of African stereotypes, such as that they were dirty or even primitive, the Malians just laughed about it and explained how it wasn't true. In fact, many Africans take 3 showers a day! Some of their US stereotypes included that we were greedy, rich and individualistic, which unfortunately characterizes many Americans. I feel like the statement that Peace Corps volunteers come back from Africa and laugh is true because so far all of the Malians I have met just love to talk and laugh and joke about everything. I love it! It will be interesting to see if Malians who are not as educated or well-off as the ones I have seen are the same, although I imagine they will still have a great sense of humor. Anyway, yesterday was also awesome because we had a cultural festival and got to experience many different aspects of Malian culture. We ate a lunch of jamba rice, sweet potatoes, and salad all out of one communal bowl, shared between 5 or 6 people. We sat on the ground and used our right hands to eat, which I can tell you, is incredibly difficult. I ended up with more food on my pants than in my mouth. Oh well - I have two more years to learn! We also learned a bit of Malian dance, which was awesome, along with the music. Very fast with a lot of butt-shaking! Finally I bought a beautiful pink pagne with a brownish/gold top with pink symbols on it. It is so gorgeous, I can't wait to wear it. It's pretty fancy, so I'll only wear it on special occassions. Oh, also got three more vaccinations yesterday - the count is up to 8, woohoo! Okay, I hope everyone is very well - miss you all!

K'a tile here caya (may the peace of your day be multiplied),

Anna

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Really? It sure doesn't sound like you miss us very much... ;-) Good luck heading out to your host village and continuing to learn language, eating habits, and dancing! I'm on page 315 out of ~750 - not bad since I didn't start until yesterday afternoon. I love you like I love to laugh! Ha ha ha ha! Loud and long and clear!

pieces said...

hey anna poo
i am loving living vicariously (spell?) through you. you will have to keep track of these dance moves for future use. i am anticipating your introduction to malian music - "who is that american girl trying to harmonize with everything?" haha. well, i am glad to hear things are going so well. jay street misses you.

Susan said...

Dear Annabelle,
Keep the writing up, we love to hear from you. I'm excited about all the new things you are experiencing, and your new "pink" outfit. Love, Mommy

Bailey Irene said...

Hey girly whirl. Glad you are enjoying yourself out there. The Africans I have met have a wonderful sense of humor too. You must let me know about all the funny stories. I hope you pick up the language quickly. I love learning languages, and I think I pick them up fast, but I tend to find that language barrier issue is what holds me back and keeps me stressed. Until it is broken of course. Then life turns into one big crazy party. So throw yourself in the mix and do your gig.

Thomas said...

Dear Anna, I really enjoy your blog entrees. First of all, you're a fine writer. You are very descriptive. Second, I'm so pleased you are enjoying these early days in Mali. I wish I could see you in your pink pagne. I know you are beautiful. Butt-shaking is good exercise! Keep it up. You'll need to teach us when you return. Also, I'll try to laugh more myself. I'm smiling now! All is well here. Mommy and I ran this afternoon at the Y. I finally had a decent workout with four miles and some weights. I have my first funeral Thursday. Jennifer and I will work together on it. We visited the family this evening. The lady was 91 years old, five months older than Granny G. I'm really enjoying the staff here. The congregation is very welcoming. Well, I'm going home for some late supper and to spend time with Mommy. Keep us posted on Mali matters. We miss you and love you like a lot of butts shaking!!! Love, daddy

Kaylen said...

Click click durka durka click durk durk durk click durka. I'm sure you have not reached fluency in the tribal language like I have yet so I will translate: That means I love you and I miss you and you smell like poo, or look like poo, depending on the dialect. Have fun and all but I'm sure the beautiful African sites you've described and the exciting new things you've learned have paled in comparison to my bright, shining face. Be safe and I MISS you!!!
Kaylen (aka Bulls***)

Unknown said...

Hey Anna
I was so glad to see yesterday that you had updated your blog. I'm really quite envious that you're off having adventures under what I'm sure are a beautiful set of stars. Jenna said it, Jay St. is very quiet without you, we certainly miss you lots. I loved reading about your session on stereotypes and about the food and dancing. Good luck in the coming week, and post some photos when you get a chance!

john sime said...

I think Malians love jokes. People speka of families having a "joking relationship" with each other. It seems to be an important part of the social fabric--to be able to telljokes about others and allow them about yourself. This is true in city or country. I was a volunteer in Bamako from July 1976 to July 1978.

C said...

Hi Anna!
I was keeping up with your blog entries, I was just being lazy about signing up for a blogger account. :-p
It sounds like you're having so much fun already! I'm so glad, even though I'll be heading back down to Chapel Hill in two weeks and it won't be the same without you there! :(
I think it's awesome that you're learning how to eat with your hands - meanwhile, I'm going to etiquette dinners and being lectured on which way to scoop soup with my spoon. I think I like the Malian way better - when you come back, you'll be a pro, and you'll need to teach me. Oh, and the dancing too. I'm really jealous of that and the clothes! Though I think the vaccinations kind of balance it out... haha!
Write again when you get a chance and tell us all about your host village! I know I'm going to be waiting very impatiently until you give us an update, so it better be soon!
Much love, and I hope everything is going well - Chrissy

Susan said...

Annabelle, Well it's almost a week since your last post, I'm afraid they've moved you to someplace without internet. Hope things continue to go well, and that you can get on line SOON. Love from here. Mommy

MLE said...

do you have a boyfriend yet?


tehehe

Susan said...

Annabelle, It was WONDERFUL to hear your voice this morning. Thanks so much for calling :-)
We were glad to hear that you are enjoying your host family and that training is going well. We'll look forward to hearing more when you get the chance. Love you bunches. Mommy

Beth Anne said...

Hey Anna,
I'm just now catching up on things after my trip to Dellaware-now known as helloware-I'm really happy that you are enjoying yourself in Africa. I get butterflies just from reading your blog. Just wanted you to know i was thinking about you and you shaking your bootie-i know you gotta be good at that now after all the practice we did before you left..miss ya!

Grandbobbie said...

Anna,
I'm trying to figure out how to leave you a message, hope this works. I'm glad to hear you called your mommy & daddy, it made them very happy.

Thomas said...

Dear Anna, Thanks so much for calling again this morning. It was wonderful to hear from you and learn that you are doing well. I'll not write a lengthy note now because I keep losing messages to you. Anyway, if this works, I'll write a longer note tomorrow. Much love, Daddy