Monday, August 6, 2007

Arrival in Banankoro

Hi everyone! I have so much to write about since it's been two weeks since my last post and I hardly know where to begin. Wednesday, July 25th, seven other trainees and I were assigned to Banankoro for our pre-service training. PST lasts until September 15th and focuses on language. We've already had 10 days of very intensive Bambara. Banankoro is a small village of about 2000 people, 25 km south of Bamako. Our arrival there was completely surreal. We pulled up to the chief's house and there was a group of 30 or so women and children in a cluster dancing and singing for us. We got out and danced with them for a few minutes and then went into the courtyard of the chief where he formally welcomed us to the village. While we were there a little girl crawled into my lap and it turned out that she's my 5 year old sister, Salimata. Next, we were divided into our host families. I live at the home of Abdoulaye Samake. He has two wives, Nianaba and Woulamatu. I would guess that Abdoulaye and Nianaba are in there 60's and Woulamatu's in her 30's. Nianaba has 6 children, the oldest being 30, and Woulamatu has 5. In the compound where I live, the houses form a square with a central courtyard. Abdoulaye, my mothers and the kids who still live at home live in one house. Abdoulaye's brother, his wife and their 5 kids live in the second house. Abdoulaye's 27 year old son Sidou and his 16 year old wife live in the 3rd house, and the fourth side is composed of my little room, a cooking area, and the shower/bathroom (negen). Needless to say, it's always busy at the Samake house! And they gave me an official Mali name: Awa Samake. All the kids on the street have learned my name, so they yell it at me a thousand times a day as I'm walking to or from the house. I definitely prefer that to "Toubabou" or "white person", which I also hear a thousand times a day from kids who live elsewhere.

I eat all my meals at home, with Aminatta or Dje'naba, two of the sisters (they go to school starting in September but during the summer they work around the house cooking, pounding millet or corn, etc). We eat together out of a big bowl using our hands (I've gotten pretty good!). I like the food but am on starch overload and am always craving fruits and veggies. For breakfast, I eat by myself and have bread (sometimes with fried eggs) and then drink coffee which is actually composed of a ton of powdered milk, a ton of sugar, and a tiny bit of coffee. It's delicious though, probably from all the sugar. For lunch and dinner, it's always either rice, macaroni, black-eyed peas, or potatoes with some kind of meat and sauce. The meat's been the only problem. Fish is okay but we usually eat beef, and each piece literally takes about 5 minutes to chew and I often end up swallowing most of it whole. Last week there was a piece in my bowl that honestly looked like it had teeth attached to it. I'm still trying to figure out what it could have been.

Every morning I fill a bucket with cold water from the well and carry it to a little roofless area attached to the negen, in order to bathe. While running water would definitely be nice, I don't mind bathing this way. Using the negen has so far been the hardest part for me, apart from the language. The one at my house is disgusting. I try to avoid using it at night because there are roaches that crawl out from the hole and run all over the place. I try to avoid using it during the day too because there are hundreds of maggots that I can see at the bottom of the hole, and there are tons of flies coming out of it. I feel like all of the trainees try to out-disgust one another with our negen stories and I think that mine's toward the top of the list!

My host family's really nice and I've started to help more with random chores, such as pounding different things for the sauce to sorting through rice. Salimata's the youngest and she's spoiled rotten. One daughter, Fatoumatta, is married now and lives in a neighboring compound. She has an adorable son, Sory, who is about 2. He was terrified of me at first but actually let me hold him the other day (and then proceeded to get down and pee within two inches of my feet, right in the middle of the courtyard). The younger kids always run out in the road to greet me and are always fighting to carry my bag or help walk my bike. The girls love to dance and have taught me some Malian moves. I gave a bunch of the kids "American" names and they loved it. Several family members speak French, so a lot of times I'll cheat and speak that if I don't understand something (which is pretty much all the time).

So for Bambara - we have about 7 hours of class a day, seven days a week except on Sunday's when we get the afternoons off. Without that American support system I seriously would have gone crazy by now. We usually hang out for about an hour or two after class each day because none of us want to go home and be bombarded by Bambara. A couple of times we've biked to Sanankoroba, a neighboring village, to visit other trainees. There's a bar in Sanankoroba so we met there for a trainee's birthday last week and that one dollar cold Castel beer was the best beer I've ever had.

Nighttime in Banankoro is the worst. I'm always exhausted by the end of the day and usually study, read my novel, write in my journal and then am in bed by 9:30 or so. In my compound, apart from the kids, there's a donkey, a dog and puppy, a bunch of chickens, a rooster, and about a zillion crickets. At least one of these animals is making a noise at every hour of the night, the donkey being the worst. Nighttime's also sometimes incredibly hot and I'll fan myself, stop in order to fall asleep, and then start sweating bullets and have to start fanning again. The weather overall hasn't been bad at all. There have been some super hot days and nights but it also rains about every other day. The rain was so heavy the other night on my tin roof, I was seriously terrified that my room was going to collapse on me.

Okay, I've definitely written enough for now and will try to write more specific stories later. Overall, Mali's still great - there are good days and bad days, which is to be expected. Learning the language will make a world of difference. Several people have asked about what to send in packages. Here's my list: DRIED FRUIT, hand sanitizing wipes, candy bars or m&m's (i'd put those in plastic bags to avoid a mess), face wash wipes (like Oil of Olay or something like that), drawing paper, stationary, magazines (news or celebrity). The address is: Corps de la Paix Mali, BP 85, Bamako, Mali. Oh, and I received letters yesterday from Mom and Dad and Iris Morphew - they only took about two weeks to get here which was comforting! Alright, love you all, miss you all, and please let me know what's going on with you! Keep writing comments, I love reading them. Ka tile here cya (may the peace of your day be multiplied).

Anna (Awa)

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh my goodness Anna, sounds like you are having some crazy adventures. It's hard to imagine life in Banankoro, although you paint a pretty good picture. I bet your brain is pretty much fried after 7 hours of language training every day. Hang in there, we'll be praying for you and certainly missing you as well.

Susan said...

Annabelle,
I think we are all having a bit of trouble writing comments on this site. I will try again. (Aunt Anne, Daddy & Bobbie all have been unable to get things to go through.)
It was great to read your updated blog, things sound good. I'm glad you have friends to hang out with for the time being and that you got the mail. I'll have a box ready to send tomorrow. You'll have to let me know if the dried fruit gets through OK or not.
I'm going up to the mountains this weekend, Daddy will have meetings in Charlotte for 3 days. I'm looking forward to some cool weather, it's going to be over 100o here today. I'll sit in the creek for you OK! :-)
Much love from home, Mommy

Unknown said...

Anna,
What a wonderful adventure you are having! Your attitude is wonderful. Sounds like you have a great host family. This is the first time I have gotten on your blog and loved reading your comments so far. You are an excellent communicator. So glad you have others there to pal around with during your off time that speak English. We are proud of you for what you are doing.
Much love from David, Gigi, Matthew & Emily Gay

Anonymous said...

Glad you are having such a wonderful experience over there. I'm still waiting to receive a letter from you... No hurry, I'll try to get you one soon. I'll put your stories in the newsletter I write so my mother can read them too. She doesn't even know where Spain is located so it will be a nice cultural read for her. It's nice to hear that you are able to learn a new language. I am as well. I have a friend that is teaching me Bulgarian. Are you learning a new alphabet? Be safe!

Aunt Anne said...

Anna, you are my newest and bestest hero! I cannot begin to tell you how much admiration I have for you. You're at the tip top of my list, that's for sure. One of your friends mentioned the word vicarious, and she's exactly right. All who view your wonderful blog will learn so much about West Africa vicariously, thanks to you. Whew, what a relief to see you had a new entry today as I've looked once or twice each day since July 24th, eagerly awaiting your next blog. I find your writing very engaging and love the way you express yourself. You've got true grit, and I love you for it! Keep up the good work, and maybe one of these days your old timey Uncle Charlie Francis will "get with it" and check out your Adventures in Mali rather than listening to me oooh and ahhh! Thanks for the list of possible wants and needs. Please add on to it as you see fit.

Anonymous said...

Hey, Awa, what's my Malian name? Thanks SOOOOO much for giving us such a great description of your life in Banankoro! Maybe we should send you some ear plugs to block out the animal noises at night?! Are there any people around your age living with your family? Or are they already married and off with their own families by then? Does the 16 year old wife hang out with the younger kids or with the older adults?

What about the other volunteers - are most of them your age? I'm glad you have them all there to hang out with, at least until you learn enough Bambara to really interact more fully with the locals. Do you have any crushes? ;-)

I echo Aunt Anne: you're totally my hero! You're way more impressive than those silly TV characters who can read minds or move through space and time or never get injured. I love you way more than the unidentified meat in your meal! (We had some of that in Peru. Ugh. It often makes you spend even more time stooped over the negen...)

C said...

Hi Anna!

I'm so glad you finally posted! Your blog entries really make me feel like I'm hanging out right beside you and your host family. Sometimes it's really hard for me to imagine what it must be like because it's so different from anything I've ever experience -- but I can relate to the roach thing. My first night in Ehaus was frighteningly similar and made me scared of walking in the bathroom at night for a long time!

I'm heading down to North Carolina on Saturday, so I'm really busy packing up and everything. When I get down there and settled into my house, I'll actually try to write you a letter -- too much has been going on to explain here!

I'm looking forward to your next post (of course) so take care of yourself and write when you get a chance. Miss you!

MLE said...

I'm currently writing a book about life in Mali that I will pretend I wrote without any help from you..

I'm gonna make you a surprise.. but I won't tell you what it is! And stop pretending like that bathroom is so nasty - you know you hate cleaning bathrooms anyway.