Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Culture Shock

So the reason I'm able to write so much now is because we came back to Tubaniso on Monday and are here 'til tomorrow. We've had lots of random sessions, and it's a good chance to take a language break and see all of the other trainees. Also, tomorrow we're going to find out where our site is!!! I'm so excited because we all thought we wouldn't find out for two more weeks.

One of the sessions today was on culture shock so I thought I'd write some about that. For me, one of the hardest adjustments has been to observe the treatment of animals. I knew coming to Africa that cats and dogs aren't seen as pets, but my host family literally beats up on the puppy in our compound. Sometimes they'll just pick it up and throw it. I've started asking them to stop and once I learn Bambara I'll explain how animals are treated in the US. The puppy always hides under my chair because he knows I won't hurt him, which is so sad!

The second problem has been trash. Most villages don't have any formal trash removal system so there's often a lot of litter everywhere. I'll probably start bringing trash from Banankoro back with me to Tubaniso where they'll burn it.

One of the nice changes about Africa is the slow pace of life. There are no awkward silences here. It was pouring rain last week so my family and I came inside from the courtyard and just sat quietly in the dark and drank tea until the rain stopped. It was really peaceful. I love the tea here by the way, probably because it's mostly sugar. It's mainly made for social purposes, because it takes about an hour to prepare and drink (Argentina people - it kind of makes me think about how you describe maté).

Joking cousins are another huge part of Malian culture. No one seems to know the history of it, but basically the family name determines who you're joking cousins with. For example, Coulibaly's are joking cousins with pretty much everyone, including Samaké’s. One of my neighbors is a Coulibaly so whenever we see one another, he'll go "Oh, Samaké, i be sho dun" (you eat beans) and then I'll respond that no, he eats beans. Then we'll laugh, and sometimes I'll say that Coulibaly's are donkeys which is another way to joke. You can do this about five times a day and it never gets old - it's a great ice breaker.

Another cultural difference I've noted is the treatment of kids. First of all, children have more responsibility at an earlier age. One of the girls in my compound who is only about 8 years old is always carrying her baby brother around, strapped to her back. Aminata and Dje'naba, both in their early teens, almost always prepare the meals. I always see my brother Nu, who is 11, wandering around town on a donkey-pulled cart selling wood. Parents also watch their kids less. Every day I come home and even the toddlers are wandering around on the street. Basically you're not a child of just two parents - you're a child of the village and everyone watches out for everyone else. One funny story happened last week between Salimata and Abu, who is about eight years old. Salimata threw a rock at Abu and he retaliated by smacking her on the thigh with a branch. She immediately started bawling, Abu ran away, and her parents and sisters basically just started laughing at her, because she deserved what she got. The parents definitely let their kids make and learn from their own mistakes. Abdoulaye finally pulled her onto his lap though and held her until she calmed down, which was sweet because I usually don't see the father being that close with his kids.

Alright, that's definitely enough for now. By the way, Emma, I'm going to give you Bintou for a Malian name (pronounced Bean-tu). If anyone else wants me to name them, let me know! And for your question about ages of other volunteers, most are recent college grads. There is one 60 year old man, a woman in her 30's, and 3 married couples who I believe are all in their 20's. Oh and Bailey, the alphabet's mostly the same except for about 3 characters which are slightly different. Hope you all are doing well, thanks for all the comments!

Anna

12 comments:

MLE said...

Oh man.. I have so many things to say:
1) I want my own Malie name!
2) They are so lucky I'm not there cuz you know how I feel about puppies
3) Abu??? Like in Aladdin???
4) I like the creativity of Mali insults:) Knee-slappers!!!

I miss you and I like to read your stuff, and usually I am so bored when people write me about their lives but you are very interesting!

YOU EAT BEANS!

Grandbobbie said...

Hi Anna. I hope this works this time. My grandson is trying to help me.If it goes through I'll wright you later.

Aunt Anne said...

I just wrote 3 or 4 paragraphs, but lost it in my attempt to publish to your blog. Can't figure out why it is so difficult to communicate with Google. It's not at all user-friendly and quite frustrating to say the least. Can't begin to reconstruct my entry, but just know that we love you and appreciate what you are doing!

Thomas said...

Dear Awa Samake,
I'm trying another Google account. I've had nothing but trouble with previous accounts. It seems everytime I try to write you, what I write gets lost because my Google account doesn't accept my password. Anyway, thanks for the blog entry "Culture Shock." The treatment of animals saddens me, also. I'm glad the animals recognize you as someone who cares. The trash...so many in our own country feel the same: the world is their trash can. I like Emma's Mali name. What is mine? Mommy's? Alex? We're well. Mommy went to the creek this weekend with GrandBobbie and Mary Roakes. I was in Charlotte all day Thursday and Friday with our staff. We attended a leadership conference. I had opportunity to visit with Pam Gillespie both days. I relaxed this morning while preparing my pastor's report for the Staff-Parish Relations Ministry Team for tomorrow. This afternoon I went to the Y to begin testing my new boots (the ones I bought when you and I went to Winston-Salem). I walked a mile and then did the elliptical machine (with running shoes) and lifted weights. After than, I went out by the pool and sat for a while. This evening, Mom and I are going to a Sunday school class party. All continues to go well at church. Next week, Thursday-Saturday, we'll be in West Virginia with Skip and Cinda. That's it for now. Keep laughing and enjoying the peace. I'm glad there's an old codger among the volunteers (the 60 year old)! I love you like rain on dry ground. Daddy

Grandbobbie said...

Hi Anna. I want write much for I do not know it it will go through. Matthew , my grandson set me up a new accountso I will thy it . I just got back from the creek visiting your mom. I had a great time and Susan is a wounderful hoast.We stayed up late Friday night playind a game, had lots of fun. Anna, I am so proud of you, amd I love to read about all that you are doing and the way that things are over there. Take care of yourself but have lots of fun also. love you much

Susan said...

Annabelle,
We were excited to get your e-mail and learn of your posting to Kourauma in the Sikasso region. I'll look forward to hearing more about it when you get to internet again. As I remember you said you'd be back in your village for another 2 weeks of intensive language instruction so it may be that long before you get to internet again. Much love & we're so proud of you. Mom

Senorita Rachel said...

ANNA BANANNA! I'm so glad to hear you're not living in a dung hut...at least not yet :). Your blog is so great--makes me feel sooooo boring here with you out on all your adventures. I love the cousin humor...I think "you eat beans" is a line that's gonna stick for a while. I'll try to send you some hand sanitizer asap...I think that's definitely the thing I would miss most! I hope you're still doing well out there!

Cousin T said...

I love the detailed account of your experiences thus far.

Keep in good health,
Cousin T

Ellis Street Graded School District said...

Hi Anna,

I enjoyed reading about your experiences fo far in Mali. It sounds so familiar as Ryan experienced a lot of the same when he moved to Cameroon. Like you, he has had to adjust to the toilets--such fun! I know you are having a wonderful experience with your new life and new friends who will become life long friends.

Debbie Lesley
Salisbury,NC
Ryan Lesley's mom
Ryan--PC Cameroon

Kaylen said...

Oh no they did not throw the puppy! You better teach that puppy to bite the crap out of them next time that try that jive crap! That made me cry a little. Screw the children with the stomachs and the flies on those commercials that you can sponsor for like a nickel a day. I'm giving a dime a day to the poor puppies.

Joe-Bob said...

Well Anna, a butterfly flaps its wings on one side of the earth...your adventures in Mali ripple around the globe. We are are all eating beans and giving extra kindness to our pets, maybe that too will make it around the world. I just dropped off my daughter at ECU for her freshman year. Now Greenville doesn't seem that far away. We admire your courage, your love and generousity, and giving of your time to make the world a better place.
Joe-Bob FUMC Salisbury

Beth Anne said...

Hey Anna,
I love reading your blog. It really spices up my day. I'm so happy to hear that you are well and it sounds like you really are enjoying Africa. I'm so proud of you sweetie-now-go make out with an African