Monday, September 17, 2007

Banankoro bana

Homestay is officially over and we're all back in Tubaniso 'til next Sunday when we depart for site! Swear-in is Friday - I am getting increasingly nervous about being dropped off at my site, although very excited as well. This last week has been fairly eventful. Wednesday night we hosted a dance for Banankoro. On Thursday we got together with some women and children and demonstrated making oral re hydration salts, which is good practice for site. Thursday also, I went to the one restaurant in Banankoro to eat lunch with some other trainees. We had to wait two hours for our food because they had to go out of town to get the ingredients, but it was totally worth it. We had cous-cous with an onion and pepper sauce and chicken. It was delicious and I ate every single bit of meat on the bone (M&D it reminded me of Shonda A. eating at our house that one time!).

Ramadan started on Thursday, so many members of my family and all over Mali will be fasting from dawn to dusk for the next month. Fasting is different than say the 30-hour famine because no food or drink (not even water) are allowed. Gum chewing and even smoking are not allowed. My family kept asking me if I was going to fast and so on Friday I did! For the whole day! I woke up at 4:15 to eat rice, bread and coffee with my sisters and then went back to my room and drank a ton of water before going back to bed for a few hours. It was tough not being able to drink water, but I did it and I think my host family was really proud of me. As soon as fast was over I chugged a liter of water and got to eat not only macaroni for dinner, but porridge and coconut as well, a nice bonus. My family thought it was really funny that I was only fasting for one day but I told them that next year I'd do it for two! On Saturday the PCT's and our professors cooked our own dinner at the school and each invited a couple members of our family to come. I invited my two sisters who I always eat with. We made a wonderful feast (including ketchup bought from Bamako) although I kind of felt bad because my sisters saw me eat about 20 pieces of meat whereas at home I avoid it altogether or only eat one or two pieces. Oh well! Afterwards my sisters took me to a photographer on the main road and we got our picture taken in front of a corny scenic background. Yesterday morning I gave gifts of rice and fabric to my parents and a deck of cards to the kids (although I think they lost half the deck within 10 minutes). Most of the kids walked me to my professors' house to say goodbye. When they left, Salimata lagged behind and kept turning around to look at me. Even though she's driven me absolutely crazy the last two months, I'll definitely miss her along with a couple others. So that's it until I go back to Banankoro in January to visit. As always, miss you all and hope everyone's well!!!

4 comments:

Susan said...

Dear Awa,
It was kind of sad reading of your goodby to your Banankoro family. I know they enjoyed having you and will miss you very much. I think I can identify with how little Salimata felt! I'm sure your "30 hour famine" experience helped you with the fast, but next time I think you should try and sneek some water. We may try to call sometime this week before you leave for site. Let us know some good times.
Love, Mommy

Aunt Anne said...

Hmmm, can't imagine ordering from a restaurant and having to wait for the chef to make a trek outta town to get the food! That was my favorite part about your most recent post. We Americans are truly spoiled rotten and take so very much for granted. It's a good thing you were not on your "lunch" hour in NYC!

It appears to be a pattern that you post to your blog either on Sunday or Monday, however, I'm so eager to hear from you that I like to check throughout the week just in case. Perhaps your writing pattern will change once you get to your quarters. I'll be most eager to see as we'd all love to hear from you more frequently.

I'm wondering if you've gotten any other packages? I do hope your packages won't be opened and anything taken by the postal workers.

Are you able to keep up at all with the news in the USA? War news? Bush news? Are the people with whom you work aware of any news outside their country?

Awa, you keep eating that meat anytime you feel it's safe; somethings the Malians just don't have to understand everything about you!

So very much lies ahead of you, and please know we all eagerly await your adventurous accounts. I have shared your blog with a number of people who are as amazed as Uncle Charlie and I are. Please always know you are loved and that we wish for you the best!

Lots of hugs!

Aunt Anne

Ellis Street Graded School District said...

Hi Anna,

I got a text from Ryan today that he had been gone a year. It does not seem possible. I will actually get to talk to him soon as he will be in a village with cell phone signals---he will also be where he can have electricity and running water for a short time.

I know you are having a wonderful experience. There is nothing to compare to it; it will always live in you. The time will pass by quickly--there will be some wonderful times; there will be times you will wonder "What was I thnking?"

I look forward to visiting Ryan in Cameroon in March. Until then, please keep blogging along since it gives me a connection to Africa. My boy cannot get to computers very often.

Debbie Lesley
Mom of Ryan Lesley (of Salisbury)
Cameroon PC Volunteer

Susan said...

Awa,
I can't wait for you to get back to Sikasso so you can write more of your adventures. I'm sorry I wasn't home when you called last week, but I'm so glad that Daddy had a good talk with you. We love you bunches and are so proud of all you are doing. Mommy