Thursday, September 6, 2007

Den kundi (Baby naming ceremony)

Hi everyone! Hopefully you can see some of the pictures that I’ve put up – they take forever to download! So, I finished Harry Potter (of course). Luckily, another trainee had already read it so I immediately had someone with whom I could talk about it. However; if anyone wants to talk about it further with me, let me know.
The last week in Banankoro has gone very well. We’re at Tubaniso until tomorrow and then we’re only in our home stay sites for one more week! I’m not really going to be sad to leave, just because I’m so ready to live on my own and cook my own food – I will miss some members of my family and will most of all miss having other trainees right there. For health education practice, we got to hold a porridge-making session and baby weighing this past week, both of which turned out well. A lot of women and their babies came to each event, and we got to practice doing everything in Bambara. The most exciting news from my site was that two sisters (whom I hadn’t yet met but live on the same street as me) both had babies within a few days of each other. The baby naming ceremony for one was all day Wednesday, in my concession. Tuesday night, I was trying to sleep but there was a sheep outside that kept me up half the night. I was so confused because there isn’t usually a sheep that lives in my concession. Then I remembered that the baby naming ceremony was to be held the next day and sure enough, I woke up the next morning and the sheep’s skin was lying right outside my door. So, I got to eat some nice lamb for lunch on Wednesday. Then, yesterday morning, I went to greet my dad and he was eating something. I asked him what it was and he replied that it was sheep’s head, and then asked me if I wanted any. I said I was full. The baby naming ceremony was fun. I missed most of the dancing because I was in class, but still got to dance a little bit. I also wore one of my new Malian outfits which everyone loved. That’s it for now. As always, I hope you all are well!

8 comments:

MLE said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
MLE said...

Wow, those kids are so cute! Steal one for me??? I've always wanted a cute child that I didn't have to birth myself.

I am sooo jealous that you get to learn another language and do all this cool cultural stuff. You have to teach me some Bambara when you get back!

Haha... you didn't want to eat the sheep's head? What's wrong with you? Sounds tasty to me!!! But seriously, I couldn't have eaten that sheep after hearing it cry all night - how sad! I'm such a softie American.

We miss you here! I can't wait for you to get back and talk a lil crazy talk to me:)

~~<3~~ Dje'neba Coulibaly ~~<3~~

Susan said...

Awa,
I loved the pictures, keep them coming. The green print dress you are wearing in the picture with the baby is darling. I'ts also fun to see some of the background of the buildings too.
I'm glad you got the oatmeal cream pies OK. I'm assuming nothing was taken from the 2 boxes I've mailed so far?
Love, *Aminata*

Anonymous said...

Hey, Awa Sissy! Sounds like things are going well! So, you're excited to get to your village and be on your own? No more sharing yummy sheep's head with your host family? I'm glad you got to practice making porridge and doing the weighings - how are you feeling about doing those in Bambara by yourself in a couple weeks? I'll try to pick up a phone card soon and give you a call to chat. Love you lots!!

Anonymous said...

PS. Thanks for putting up pics!

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

I guess you had the last laugh with that sheep. Is Abu's full name Abubakar - like my Malian name? I think I look a little like him.

What's Bambara for porridge?

Thomas said...

Anna, I love the pictures! It's great to see you in your native clothes. The children are beautiful. I'm enjoying telling the story about the sheep. That must have been quite a surprise for you to hear the sheep at night and see its hide in the morning. Mom and I went to a choir picnic today at Ron Sinclair's house (over an hour from here). We had a good time. We returned to the YMCA and worked out. I'm getting ready to study the sermon for tomorrow. Much love, Daddy