Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Holiday News

Happy New Year! I have a lot to write about since my last entry two weeks ago, so I’ll split my blogs into Holiday news and regular stories. Two major Holidays occurred in the past two weeks. One of course was Christmas. The other, Tabaski, or Seliba (the big Festival) in Bambara, was a huge deal in Kourouma. Tabaski commemorates the willingness of Abraham to sacrifice Isaac. As the idea of sacrifice is the backbone of Tabaski, those who can afford to sacrifice a sheep, goat or cow. For me it was one of those days when I wake up and have no clue what’s going on, what to say, wear or how to act. I put on a new fancy outfit (consisting of long pagne and huge embroidered top) which immediately gave my neighbors a laugh. For a while I stood on my porch and watched as tons of men, all dressed to the nine’s in flowing colorful boubous, and some women made their way to the mosque. Then I walked to my homologue’s house where they were doing basic chores in every-day clothes! I felt a bit ridiculous and went home to change. As it turned out, most people dress up in the late afternoon to walk around and greet. After the 9:00 prayer is the time for the sacrificial slaughtering. I was sitting on my porch where I can look out the door to my compound as people pass by. My neighbor’s son, Solo came out with one of their sheep, along with a big metal sheet which he laid on the ground. Then I heard him go back into his compound and heard the sound of a knife being sharpened. Next a random guy showed up and he, Solo, and my neighbor led the sheep out of my eyesight (fortunately). A few minutes later they were skinning and cutting up the dead sheep on the metal sheet. That afternoon they gave me a hunk of the raw meat which I cooked the next day. The day after that they brought me a whole bowl full of sauce and cooked sheep parts (I’m still not sure what but I’m thinking some liver and intestines). It was actually really tasty other than the texture! Luckily I’ve never been a picky eater, although I think it’s funny that I used to want to be a vegetarian because I thought it was cruel to kill animals for any reason! Anyway, I went to my homologue’s house for lunch, where sheep, rice, and a variety of vegetables were served. I hung out there for a while and she had music playing on the radio but it wasn’t too exciting. That afternoon, several groups of kids came by my house to offer blessings and in return I gave them candy. It’s the Malian form of Halloween. Instead of ‘Trick or Treat’, it’s ‘May God give you a good year’ and things like that. I had told Adia, my adorable three-year old neighbor, that I would take her picture on Seliba. She came over all dressed up with a new hairstyle, bright gold shoes, big gold earrings and dark eyeliner. I got my camera and her mother came running over to see what Adia could hold for the picture. I didn’t have any flowers so at first she suggested the mini globe that my parents sent me for Christmas! Then I found the mini Christmas tree and she agreed that that would be better. I just love how Malians like a good prop, no matter how tacky! That night was quiet, although after dinner at my homologue’s house, her kids kept me entertained by throwing their sheep’s head into the fire and then trying to saw it in half. The next night was a Seliba dance, which was basically the same as the dance after Ramadan.

Noel was the other major holiday and it was certainly the most different Christmas I’ve ever had. For starters, it felt absolutely nothing like Christmas, which was probably a good thing because it didn’t give me a chance to be too sad about not being in the US with my family! I spent it in Sikasso with about seven other gals. On Christmas Eve we baked up a storm. Three of us went to the Protestant Church for an 8 o’clock service. Well, we got there at about 8:05 and an hour and a half later it still hadn’t started! (Not too surprising though. We had been told during training that things in Mali often don’t get started until about two hours after they’re supposed to) We were tired though so decided to go on home. Christmas morning I slept in ‘til 8 (crazy!). We had scrambled eggs and pancakes for brunch and then walked over to a boutique where we sat outside, drank boxed wine, and had girl talk. That night we planned on having curried vegetables and twice-baked potatoes (my personal Holiday favorite). Another volunteer and I baked the potatoes once, made the filling, and had them ready to pop back in the oven when the gas tank ran out! Unfortunately it was too late to get a new one so we all watched ‘Home Alone’ and ate once-baked potatoes!

Christmas Eve and Christmas day were also filled with a major rat hunt! The volunteer whose house we stayed at had a huge rat living in her oven. It was spotted several times but always got away (we even brought two male neighbors over to try and catch it and they had no luck). Finally on Christmas day, a PCV and one of her friends were able to chase the rat into a room and then catch him in a bucket. They tossed him over the railing where he fell to his death. The neighbors were entertained though, because for the two days before the rat was caught, every so often they’d hear us Toubab’s screaming bloody murder whenever it was spotted!

2 comments:

Susan said...

Not a picky eater? Where did you grow up?
Love, Mommy

MLE said...

HEY! Sounds gross (the food). You know I'm a picky eater and I would not so make it in Mali... I would probably starve to death.

I miss you!