Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Vaccinations, onions, and dancing

The last two weeks in Kourouma have been fine, and I’ll just try and think of any interesting incidents to share. Saturday morning was fun. After greeting at the CSCOM, I walked around town some, going to compounds I haven’t been to in a long time. At one point, a woman asked me if my hair was hair of a scarf. Kids are either terrified or fascinated by my hair, but it had never even occurred to me that people might not even think it is hair! I wonder who else thinks that I walk around every day in a light brown colored scarf! I stopped several times and sat with people, including two teachers from a nearby village, one of whom lives in Kourouma and two university students. Overall, I felt confident with my Bambara. It’s so much easier for me to speak and understand if I’m with only one or two other people. I get frustrated almost every day at my homologue’s house because there are always a lot of people there and they’re either speaking in Senofu or there are so many of them speaking fast Bambara that I’m lost and just sit there. I know I’m quiet in English too but at least I know when to laugh if someone makes a joke!

A few weeks ago there was a major vaccination campaign in Mali. One morning I went to greet at the CSCOM early and there was a line of women and children stretching from the hanger in the middle of the large compound to the doors leading out. The Doctor gave me some work to do, helping to give out Vitamin A pills and polio drops. We were there from 7:45 until 2 in the afternoon, with a steady stream of patients. It was a zoo and I thought it would never end, although I loved actually having work to do. And luckily we didn’t run out of any of the vaccines and had enough mosquito nets to give to everyone who came through. It was good to see such a good turnout.

This past Friday morning I decided to go to the onion fields again, and brought my camera. I had a really good time greeting and helping women, and taking a bunch of pictures. I helped my homologue’s friend, Mamine water all of her plants. We left together and I thought that eventually we’d separate but she followed me all the way to my house and plopped down on a chair. We sat for a while and she asked me what I was gonna make for lunch. It was noon and I just said I wasn’t sure yet. Well, we sat there for a few more minutes and I started to wonder if she wanted me to cook for her. Turns out so because she basically told me to get up and cook! I had no idea what to do. I asked her if she liked eggs and she said yes, so we had scrambled eggs and then she helped me make fried sweet potatoes as well. I’m still a little unsure whether she just wanted me to make her lunch, was maybe curious about what I eat, or whether she just wanted to hang out!

This past weekend has been a happenin’ place in Kourouma. It was the Doctor’s birthday, so his wife threw him a dance party both on Saturday and Sunday nights! Saturday afternoon I went to greet at their compound, where a bunch of women had gotten together to cook. I sat for a while, but before I could leave, the Doctor’s wife made me take a big bowl of porridge and another bowl of spaghetti. I felt so bad because I hadn’t helped cook, so another woman told me that my help would be to dance that night! So, at the dance I ended up dancing to about six or seven songs (they’re about ten minutes long each!) and had a really good time. I didn’t get home until 1 am! Sunday night wasn’t as exciting because I think everyone was tired. The most interesting part of the evening came when one of the musicians really got into the song and threw off her top (no bra underneath) and started dancing and even did a cartwheel!

Be sure and read my other new post below this one. I hope you all had wonderful holiday's!

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Annita! I'm so glad that you had an exciting couple of weeks. Christmas sounds fun, even if the potatoes were only baked once! It sounds like your language is really coming along, and even though you still struggle sometimes, it must be a huge relief to feel like you can communicate at least on a one on one basis. I miss you tons and I hope to hear from you soon!!

Susan said...

Dear Awa,
Thanks for the new 2008 blogs! We are always so happy to hear about what's happening in Mali. I'm so glad you got to help with
the vaccines, and had your first dinner guest. Yea! I can't wait to see more pictures.
Love, Momma

Laura Gallo said...

Anna, I have been reading your blog when I get the chance. Enjoy how you are so descriptive about your experiences. I am writing today to let you know that your parents have made a donation to Wesley in your honor (Emma's, too).
Stay well.
Laura Gallo

Susan said...

I've been corrected, Anna was NOT a picky eater it was her sister Emma!
Love, Mom

MLE said...

I'm commenting here too... my goal is be the one who comments on every single blog! I'm about to report to Army duty and so maybe then I'll have some interesting stories to tell you!

I'm glad you are having fun :)

Susan said...

Awa,
We love the new look to your blog. Very nice! We were so sorry that we weren't home when you called tonight, maybe we can connect with each other tomorrow.
Love you bunches,
Mommy